Northwest High School will be offering driver’s education to students through the Nebraska Safety Center at UNK. To register for classes please click on the following link.
Classes: May 1st, May 6th, May 7th, & May 8th, 2019 | 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
Range Exercises in Kearney | Saturday, May 11, 2019 | 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. *
Student/Parent Orientation | May 1 | 6pm | Grand Island Northwest
Classes: May 20-23, 2019 | 5:30 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
Range Exercises in Kearney | Friday, May 24, 2019 | 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.*
Student/Parent Orientation | May 20 | 5:30pm | Grand Island Northwest
Classes: June 24-27, 2019 | 8:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Range Exercises in Kearney | Friday, June 28, 2019 | 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.*
Student/Parent Orientation | June 24 | 8am | Grand Island Northwest
Classes: July 8-11, 2019 | 8:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Range Exercises in Kearney | Monday, July 15, 2019 | 9:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.*
Student/Parent Orientation | July 8 | 8am | Grand Island Northwest
*Transportation to Kearney for range days will be provided by the Nebraska Safety Center
- Each student is required by the Nebraska DMV to have a valid permit in order to enroll in this course.
- Registrations will be accepted in person, via fax, mail and online. No telephone registrations will be accepted. To register for the course, complete the registration form and return it to the Nebraska Safety Center with payment or you may register online, by visiting our website at: unk.edu/dred. Additional classes are listed on our website.
- Registration deadline is 2 weeks prior to class start date.
- All payments (except online), must be sent to the Nebraska Safety Center Office. We accept MasterCard, Visa, personal checks, cashier’s checks or money orders. If you pay by check or money order, please make payment to “Nebraska Safety Center at UNK”. The classroom instructor will NOT accept payment.
- Payment plans require a $115 deposit at the time of registration. Monthly payments are expected and payment in full is required prior to the end of classroom instruction. Class results will not be reported to the DMV without full payment. Failure to pay by the end of class may result in your account being sent to collection.
- Classes require a minimum enrollment of 8 students and are limited to a maximum of 24 students. Enrollment will be on a first-come, first-served basis. Classes which do not meet the minimum enrollment are subject to cancellation. Your payment will be refunded if class is canceled or if class is full when your registration is received.
- When our office receives registration and payment, a postcard will be sent to parents confirming registration.
- A postcard confirming enrollment will be sent upon receipt of registration followed by a detailed letter approximately 2 weeks before class. There is a parent/student meeting the first hour of the first class period.
- Students are provided 5 hours of behind-the-wheel driving time. Driving appointments are scheduled with the instructor for outside of classroom times. Students requiring more driving time will be charged $50 per hour. If a student schedules a time to drive and is not present for the lesson, that lesson will be rescheduled and the $50 rescheduling fee will apply.
- Behind-the-wheel drive times are scheduled with the instructor outside of classroom time and will be completed as quickly as possible. Each student is provided 5 hours of behind-the-wheel driving time. Students requiring more hours of driving time will be charged $50 per hour. If a student schedules a time to drive and is not present for the lesson, that lesson will be rescheduled and a $50 additional fee will be assessed.
- If the Driver Education student is under 18 years of age at the time the course is completed, passing the course with his/her current permit results in a waiver of the written and drive tests at the Nebraska DMV Office.
- If the student is 18 or older at the time the course is completed, passing the course will result in a Certificate of Completion but the student is required to take the written and drive tests at the DMV office.
- This course conforms to the rules and regulations of the DMV and exceeds the criteria established for insurance discounts. Nebraska DMV regulations require that, “Students must attend all course presentations and pass all examinations”. Therefore, any missed portion(s) of the course, for any reason, must be made up prior to the issuance of a waiver. A $50 rescheduling fee will be assessed for every class, range time, or driving time missed.
- A parent/student orientation meeting will be held the first hour of the first class.
- If a student requires any accommodations due to a documented disability, please contact the Nebraska Safety Center prior to the beginning of the course. Special arrangements may be made to accommodate these needs.
- Check Re-presentment Policy: In the event that your check is returned unpaid for insufficient or uncollected funds, we may re-present your check electronically. In the ordinary course of business, your check will not be provided to you with your bank statement, but a copy can be retrieved by contacting your financial institution.
- Please contact the Driver’s Education Program at 308-865-8256 if you have further questions.